Welcome to the seventh edition of our ‘Developer Diaries’, in which we keep you informed about the progress of Reality Clash and the latest updates from our developers.
In this development diary update we want to share more information on the creation of the weapon assets currently seen on the Armoury Store and companion Android App…
We asked Kevin Boase, Development Director of Buko Studios, Manila, who exclusively develop the weapons for Reality Clash, to give us a step through guide on how these digital assets are created.
The staging process involved in the creation of these assets is set out from the design concept through to the integration of the item into the app. A lot of work goes into each item and we have tried to show the major points of the production process in this diary:
CONCEPT & DESIGN
- Review the technical data and specifications from the GDD.
- Check real life references including loadout options, firing and reloading.
- Block out weapon concepts in 3d, establishing moving parts and weapon form.
- From the start we establish the caliber of ammo, clip size and working mechanics alongside a referenced model to conform to basic ergonomics and dimensions.
- The initial batch of weapons take cues from real world weapons; great care is taken to tone the weapon aesthetic based on its imagined place in history, origin and intended purpose.
- Some weapons are purely functional; their look heavily influenced by production techniques of the time or place they might be built.
- More modern weapons utilize advanced materials and these required a lot of design work to ensure good handling and ergonomics.
3D MODELLING | TEXTURING
- We utilise Hard Surface Polygon Modelling using a mixture of block modelling and subdivision techniques using Autodesk MayaLT.
- We assign materials to the mesh, assessing use of metals, molded plastics, and padded components. Whilst we use UV Layouts ensure the texture data can be baked to a single texture page for optimal file handling.
SKINS | PATTERNS | DECALS
- We manage our decals, texture sheets and colour schemes using Adobe Photoshop CC. The software is capable of handling the level of detail that we need when making these weapons.
- The skins/decals are applied to the weapons with specific rules in order to match up our cryptocurrency skins and technical skins within the 3D application.
- UV Sets are used to apply the illustrative liveries to give most impact on the weapon.
- We apply decals and stickers where appropriate to give the weapons more interest and personality.
EXPORT FOR ARMOURY STORE
- We export the weapon package for Sketchfab via Allegorithmic’s Substance Painter.
Finally… with the creation of the weapon completed, the item must be tested and then animated for use within the Armoury app and later; in the Reality Clash game.
GAME SETUP AND ANIMATION CONTROL
- Weapons are tested to conform to specifications and nodes for character attachment.
- Rig controls are added manage operations such as trigger pulling and firing parts of the weapon.
- We animate the bullet right from loading from the Magazine through to firing and ejecting the shell.
- The Weapon is imported into the Character Rig setup and fit comfortably into the hands with a natural firing position.
These items are later added to The Armoury store and imported into the Armoury app, completing the long journey from our designers to our backers and soon-to-be players! The weapon is tokenized when sold to a player and ownership of this item is registered on the Ethereum blockchain. A truly unique item has been created and passed to its owner… Scarcity of the item is guaranteed and a transaction fee to tokenize has created inherent value and no fraudulent versions of this asset will exist!
We hope that you have found this developer diary to be of interest, if you want to see some of these items up close – you can download our Android Armoury app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.realitygaminggroupltd.realityclasharmoury&hl=en_GB
All items are available at the Armoury for RCC holders, with weekly additions of limited edition weaponry! https://realityclash.com/armoury.html
Stay tuned for our next dev diary installment in May, in which we discuss more on the Tokenization of these items…